School Improvement Plan
Outcome goals for this academic school year
School Improvement & Innovation Plan At A Glance
Lanier Middle School
Tammara Hanna, Principal
End of Year Strategic Outcome: Excellence
All 8th-grade students will pass the 2018-19 Reading 8 and Writing 8 SOL* or demonstrate growth (as measured by movement to a higher performance band) and transition to Fairfax High School with a plan for success by 11th grade.
All 7th-grade students will pass the 2018-19 Reading 7 SOL* or demonstrate growth (as measured by movement to a higher performance band) and transition to 8th grade with a plan for success.
All students will pass the 2018-19 Mathematics SOL* or demonstrate grow (as measured by movement to a higher performance band) or transition to the next grade level with a plan for success.
*If students do not take the SOLs, then the goal is applied to the designated VDOE assessment.
- Instructional planning at the school level, team level, and teacher level should focus on what the students are learning, why the learning is important, and how to effectively design the instruction to ensure that all students will achieve at high levels.
- All collaborative teams (CT) will utilize the CT Cycle to increase student achievement.
- All teachers will use academic language and literacy-based strategies across the curriculum.
- Organize all-school writing formative assessments to increase shared understanding of writing development.
- Engage families in regular, two-way, and meaningful communication about student learning.
End of Year SMARTR Outcome: Equity
By June 2019, all Lanier students can report that they feel accepted for who they are at Lanier and will be able to identify at least one staff member who cares about them.
- All staff members will increase their capacity to engage in culturally and linguistically responsive teaching practices.
- Create a Teacher Advisory (TA) with a focus on building relationships and community.
- Continue to refine school-wide culture and community approaches to build students’ sense of belonging and self-efficacy.
End of Year SMARTR Outcome: Effectiveness
All teachers will grow more confident in designing personalized and blended instruction to help students reach Portrait of a Graduate attributes as measured by a 1-point improvement over the baseline on the Blended Learning Readiness Scale
- Teachers will engage in ongoing, job-embedded professional learning on technology integration into the curriculum.
- Teachers will design learning experiences that build students’ capacity to use real-world technological skills and contemporary digital tools to explore and exchange ideas.